City Opens Brooks Crossing Innovation and Opportunity CenterAugust 28, 2019
Virtual Presentation of the Endview Development ConceptSeptember 1, 2020
The City of Newport News hosted the 2019 State of the City on October 29 with the Virginia Peninsula Chamber of Commerce. The theme, Our Story Continues: Believe with Us, honored the city’s determined and persistent citizens, businesses and employees committed to creating change. During the sold out event, Mayor McKinley Price shared Newport News’ accomplishments that are a result of people believing in our city and residents.
Mayor Price stated Newport News has seen incredible success this year in education, in businesses large and small, in research, in technology, in crime reduction, and in giving people new opportunities. He added, “The State of the City involves more than just the Mayor, City Council, and City government. Every citizen, business, and visitor plays an important role in the state of our city.” To honor the believers who work hard every day to write the story of Newport News, Mayor Price invited others to join him to deliver the remarks, including:
- Jennifer Boykin, President of Newport News Shipbuilding;
- Sarah Burden, a student at Heritage High School;
- Jeff Johnson, Director of Tech Center Research Park;
- Owen King, Distiller at Ironclad Distillery;
- Dr. George Parker, Superintendent of Newport News Public Schools;
- LT. Roberson, a graduate of Newport News Public Schools; and
- Jennifer Smith-Brown, Managing Partner of J. Smith Enterprises.
Next week, we will begin a series recapping the State of the City and the remarks from Mayor Price and the guest speakers. The event was recorded and will be shown in its entirety on NNTV within the next week, posted online and shared in this newsletter.