757 Accelerate is Giving $100,000 to 5 Select Startups!May 4, 2018
Dudley’s Driving Center Inc.June 29, 2018
In 1953 Frank Brown II founded B & L Automotive, originally named the Mercury Armature Company. The business name was changed to B & L Automotive shortly after opening with its first location the intersection of Harpersville Road and Jefferson Avenue. Initially the business built alternators, starters, and generators for automobiles, and supplied local auto parts stores with their products.
The business continued growing and in the late 1970’s, Mr. Brown sold the business to his son, Robert Brown. B & L continued to evolve over the years and has transitioned into a full service automotive repair facility offering automotive repair and diagnosis. In addition B & L sells tires, performs alignments, provides fleet service and conducts Virginia State Inspections.
B & L moved to its current location at 13539 Jefferson Avenue in 2001. The founder’s grandson, Brad Brown, transitioned into the operational role in 2004. B & L has seven employees and has continued with its business motto which is “Customers First, Quality Always.”
Remaining committed to its deep roots in Newport News, the business partners with local community organizations. It has supported local dog rescues, Newport News Public Schools athletic programs, Disabled Veteran initiatives, Peninsula Sports Club, and other groups.